Recipe: Almond Milk – How to make your own

by polly on August 28, 2010

If you have read my blog on the quality of milk, or lack thereof, that is widely available in our supermarkets and are left wondering what you can drink instead, then why not make your own? It is definitely healthier and much much tastier!

You can make nut “milk”. I use either almonds or brazil nuts and use it in my smoothies to make it taste creamier. And it is super easy.

Soak the nuts overnight, blend with fresh water the following day and strain through a nut milk bag, or failing that, a pop sock! Preferably a clean one but that’s what I first used when starting out and it does the job just as well!

Do you think if I took a picture of myself like the one above, I could get everyone to make their own milk?! ;o)

Here’s some almond milk I made earlier…..

Almond Milk

• Soak 1 cup almonds overnight
  • Drain almonds and blend with 3 cups filtered water.
  • Strain through nut milk bag or pop sock(!)
  • Add stevia, honey or agave to sweeten
  • Add pure alcohol free vanilla extract (optional)

You can substitute Almonds for Brazil nut milk, hazlenuts, cashews, hemp and any nut.

If you’re not sure what to do with the leftover Almond meal, you could make these macaroons!

Drink, enjoy and be safe in the knowledge that you’re not ingesting any hormone or antibiotic residues normally found in cow’s milk and perpetuating the cycle of cruelty the animals endure!

If you’re still not convinced and want to stick with cow’s milk, go organic as it is proven to be 68% higher in omega-3 essential fatty acids than non-organic milk.

Karen Wood September 6, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Yummy Polly……I buy almond milk at the supermarket and it is uber expensive….I always’ thought buying nuts was too, but you make this look so easy I am going to give it a go!

I’m particulary partial to almond milk blended with organic drinking chocolate for and end of day treat! love it with oats cooked with pear, and of course in a banana berry smoothie!

xKaren

Laura October 3, 2010 at 11:08 am

Hi Polly! I just made my first batch of almond milk (using a popsock!!) and was amazed at how easy and successful it was! I feel very resourceful ;-) Just wondering, what do you do with the leftover almond pulp? It seems a shame to waste it, any ideas?
I have been reading your blog and following a raw diet for about a month now and feel much better for it. You really are an inspiration and have opened my eyes to exactly what we put into and onto our bodies. My reason for trying raw is far from yours but I am very grateful for what I have learned and I wish you all the best of success for the future!
Laura x

Claudia February 5, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Hi Polly
thanks for the lovely recipe. I can’t wait to try it. I have thought about using some ground almonds I had and I have poured over some water to soak them. My question is…shall I discard the water? The fact is that because of the consistency of the ground almonds, the water is gone quite ‘milky’ and thick….but I know that the water from soaking should be discarded, right?…start to think it wasn’t a good idea after all….
I love following your blog. Thanks. Claudia x

polly February 5, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Hey Claudia, yes, defo throw away the water as normally with whole almonds, the water goes brown when soaked as the enzyme inhibitor gets released. I have to say whole almonds are better than ground though so try and use them going forward. Happy milk making. x

Katrina April 26, 2012 at 10:05 am

Hi Polly, just found you through Jason. Could you advise me about babies and children please. My grandson is 15 mth and still in powdered milk. What is the best advice on giving babes milk and Also I am giving him small amounts of juices. Everyone says it will make him I’ll, but he seems fine. I am building it up slowly. What is the best food for them. Maybe a book on this subject could be a best seller. So many people are changing to juicing and raw foods, but are not sure what to do for babies and children. We have been told so many lies and I think some confusion is going on concerning how to really take care of our young ones.

Thanks keep up the good work
Katrina

polly April 26, 2012 at 10:51 am

Hi Katrina, I dont have any children so obviously I cant speak from experience Im afraid. I personally dont think giving children juice is a bad thing if its mostly veggie based – its the same as them eating it only easier for them to digest. People will always have their own opinion so remember to follow your heart and do what YOU think is best. Re books, check out Evies Kitchen by Shazzie and check out Juli Novotny http://puremamas.squarespace.com/ and http://GreenMommyBlog.com/ as they will know better than me. ;o) xx

elizabeth May 8, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Many apologies if this is a silly question – should the milk be stored in an airtight container, or does it not matter?
I’m really looking forward to trying this out :)
xx

polly May 8, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Hi Elizabeth, preferably yes. I prefer to use glass jars or mason jars and I write on them with a sharpie permanent pen when I made it, which washes off easily ;o) x

Elizabeth May 8, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Awesome, thanks!! xx

rachael February 19, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Interesting!! I’m thinking of giving up dairy. I get a terrible rash on my arm and my neck and I think dairy has to be to blame. I never seem to get this rash when I’m abroad (they have a different way of processing their milk etc) and I’ve given up things like wheat, alcohol etc and that hasn’t made any difference. I also suffer with awful throat problems, for which milk and cheese are not ideal produce. Going to give this a try!

laura June 18, 2013 at 4:22 pm

hiya how long will this last in the fridge?

polly June 18, 2013 at 7:11 pm

2-3 days normally.

laura December 9, 2013 at 12:23 pm

hiya i forgot to make some almond milk so had to buy some the best i could find was ecomil it has water almonds tapioca starch and natural almond flovour is this ok?