So it’s New Year’s Eve Eve and I am for the first time actually looking forward to New Years this year. I always leave it to the last minute to decide what I am going to do – (well that’s not strictly true as I had just come out of hospital a few days before Christmas last year and again in 2007 having been struck down with pneumonia, (weirdly it happened at the same time each year) so I wasn’t really in a fit state to go anywhere and if I had tried, I suspect I might have found myself chained to the sofa thanks to my parents!) God know’s what happened to 2008 but it clearly wasn’t that memorable! I’m off to Wales for my friend Katherine’s party…it’s fancy dress so it should be fun!
So for those of you having a “big one” which I suspect might be MOST of you reading this, I wanted to give you some hangover cures that may make that banging headache a whole lot less noisy. What I find the most annoying about alcohol is that while drinking and especially the following day, it makes you crave CRAP TO EAT. And when I say crap, I don’t mean it literally although it might actually be healthier for you than the crap I’m actually referring to but I’m not so sure it would taste so good! I digress..Many a morning I have woken up feeling horrendous, wishing the ground would swallow me up as my brain begins recounting the events of the night before. Flashbacks come and go and I would recoil in horror at the things I may have said or done. (Usually it was just my own very high standards that would lead me to feel this way but on speaking to friends would discover that I was infact fine…most of the time!) But there have been occasions that still make me cringe to this day. So if like me, you suffer from “the fear” then take my advice and go easy on the booze!
- Eat a substantial meal for dinner.
- Drink at least 3 litres of water throughout the day BEFORE you go out to hydrate what is about to become a very dehydrated body.
- If eating dinner at friends/restaurant, don’t let anyone top up your glass until you have finished. It is very easy to lose track of how many glasses (bottles) of wine you are drinking!
- Try to stick to the same tipple and especially don’t mix wine with beer.
- Try to drink a glass of water in between each drink. (yeaaaahhh right I hear some of you cry!)
- Stay away from the shots doing the rounds. Tequila/Sambuca et al will be the end of you!
- Remember it takes 20 minutes for alcohol to take effect…so choose wisely when you next go the bar!
And for anyone completely ignoring all of the above, here are some tips to nurse your hangover!!!
- On rising drink 2 pints of water (preferably with freshly squeezed lemon to alkalise a very acidic body)
- Make a Green Ninja Juice to kick hangover butt or a Sweetie Pie Juice to curb the sugar cravings.
- Drink more water, more water, more water.
- Make a Popeye Salad to get you fighting fit again
- Drink more water. Now drink more.
- Make a creamy smoothie to fill that gap that hula hoops, hob nobs and snickers just can’t fill. Or if you can’t be bothered with making Almond Milk, make a Pink Dream to make those little elastic bands in your head stop pinging.
- Drink more water, more water, MORE.
- For dinner, have some Quick Crust Pizza followed by Zippy’s Chocolate Macaroons. Or if you haven’t got them in the cupboard, here’s a quick fix Chocolate Mousse for you to indulge in.
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 cup carob powder (or cacao powder if you have it)
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and combine until smooth and creamy. Taste test as you go as carob has a less chocolatey taste than cacao so you may want to adjust according to your preference.
However you choose to spend your New Year remember that we are connected through eachother, just little tiny atoms part of a HUGE Universe so live and love like you were born to and resolve to make 2011 your best year yet. I think you deserve it don’t you?!