I came across this fascinating article that highlights the real cost to health from drinking fizzy drinks. I have never been a big advocate of drinking fizzy drinks all day long which scarily, people do do. Having worked in the media industry for nearly ten years, I know that a lot of people depend on this stuff to keep them “functioning’ and “full of energy “all day long (which is kind of laughable considering it’s actually killing them!) Maybe I shouldn’t laugh at that – is that insensitive?! Oh well, sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind! Some of my co-workers would drink 2-3 cans a day, sometimes more which is scary when you read the below facts! People often know it’s “bad” for them but I honestly don’t think they realise that they are playing a dangerous game of russian roulette where the only things to be “won” are heart disease, cancer and diabetes. Seriously, this stuff is frickin lethal.
Of course I have drunk fizzy drinks in the past – I always knew that it wasn’t the best thing I could be drinking but what else was I going to drink with my vodka?! ;o)
Those days are long gone thank god and my liver thanks me for it. You can click on the above picture and get a bigger version of this handout (courtesy of Mind Body Green) and print it out if you wish. It’s well worth a read.
Here are some of the things you can look forward to if you drink fizzy drinks!
- 80% increased risk of developing Type 2 diabetes
- Increased risk of osteoporosis – the phosphorus in soft drinks deplete the body of calcium
- Increased risk of developing heart disease due to the high fructose corn syrup
- Dissolved tooth enamel
- Increased risk of developing asthma and eczema
- Increased risk of developing kidney stones and other renal problems
- Increased risk of obesity
- Increased risk of developing cancer thanks to aspartame which is often used in fizzy drinks (this isn’t mentioned in the study from Mind Body Green but this has been reported in national press.)
I can safely say that you won’t catch me drinking a can of fizzy drink in this lifetime!