I’ve been travelling a lot recently and well, working super hard so my consumption of superfoods has reduced dramatically. I got home last week, looked in my cupboard at the array of magnificent magical foods sitting there waiting for me to consume them and in that moment, made it my mission to get back on the superfood train. It’s not like I haven’t been having any, I took my MSM, green powder and chlorella with me to Edinburgh and St Tropez but I have soo many other awesome products to use and tell you about, I feel it’s about time to ramp it up!!!
A while back, I was surfing Raw Living’s website and came across a superfood called Cordyceps which piqued my interest. It is a natural plant food considered to be one of the top foods in the Chinese Herbal Tonic system. I think it was the bit that said “it is commonly used to treat infertility” that caught my eye.
I haven’t openly told every single part of my cancer story, because frankly, it’s a long one – maybe ill save it for my autobiography! But if you’ve been to one of my classes, talks or workshops, you will know that I have no problem in speaking about all the sh*t that’s gone down in the last few years. The supposed “infertility” thing (caused by radiotherapy and an early menopause which I don’t think I’ve really experienced apart from the odd hot flush) has been an issue for me because being told I couldn’t have kids aged 24, as you might expect, came as a bit of a bummer. Actually, scrap that, it was big f*cking kick in the gut which hurt A LOT.
BUT I take comfort in the fact that a) doctors get it wrong sometimes, b) I have everything in tact (this sentence is a weird one but thankfully my cancer had spread which meant that I didn’t have to have a hysterectomy as then I really WOULD have been screwed but did have radiotherapy which supposedly screwed everything up anyways!Jeeez!) c) I fully believe that the body can heal and d) I am one stubborn gal! So despite doctors telling me all this, I prefer to believe that it’s just a matter of time before everything begins to work as it should. So not only am I healing my cancer but my ovaries too. Those of you that moan about your PMS, I’ll swap ya?!
A little more info on Cordyceps: According to Raw Living, “it is said to be able to increase the “primary motive force for life activities” because it contains both Yin and Yang it can be used by anyone safely and over a long period of time.
It can help;
- strengthen the primal kidney functions which include; sexual functions, brain power, structural integrity and healing ability
- strengthen the skeletal structure
- benefits the lower back region, the knees and ankles
- impotence, sexual malaise, frigidity and infertility
- strengthen respiratory power in those who require extra energy in order to perform physical work
- those who suffer from deficiency of lung power or who suffer chronic lung weakness with cough, wheezing or shortness of breath. (I’ve had pneumonia twice so this is a BONUS!)
- greatly improves performance and muscle building capability
- who are recovering from an illness or an operation, or after giving birth. In these cases, Cordyceps helps the patient recover their physical power, to improve their appetite, and to protect the body from infection.
- can help the body resist a wide range of pathogenic bacteria, fungi and viruses. Used in Asia to help treat fungus and yeast infections
OH, AND intensive research is being conducted at dozens of institutions in China and Japan relating to the potential of Cordyceps to treat certain varieties of cancer. (DING DING DING DING – that’s what we like to hear!)
Back to the diet – I am much more of a fan of juice than I am smoothies – they both have their place in my life but juice has the edge. Rather than having my usual green juice for brekkie this morning, I thought I’d mix it up in an attempt to stick to my new superfood regime. I just got the test results of this new blood test you can do which shows how much omega-3 (the good stuff) there is in your diet and was shocked to see that there wasn’t enough so I’m increasing the protein powders and the omega-3’s as much as possible. I’ll blog about this soon.
So I made a shake with my new SunWarrior Vanilla protein powder, blueberries, banana, brazil but butter and some superfoods thrown in for good measure. It was SO good, that my brother made me make some for him and his friend who both guzzled it down as an energy boost before heading into town. It’s VERY good – and don’t be put off if you don’t like banana – neither do I but in a shake like this, it rocks!
Vanilla Blueberry Chai Super Shake
- 1 tablespoon brazil nut butter
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 tablespoons Sun Warrior Vanilla Protein powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/4 teaspoon cordyceps (optional)
- 1 heaped teaspoon chaga powder (optional)