I LOVE kale. It’s extremely nutritious and I just got bundles delivered by my organic box scheme. Literally loads and loads. I may have got a little bit excited when I saw my favourite type available (cavelo nero).
Here are 8 reasons why I love it AND I have included a delicious recipe for you below.
1. Anti-inflammatory: Kale is a very anti-inflammatory food helping to prevent and reverse many illnesses from arthritis to autoimmune diseases.
2. Fibre: Fibre is extremely important to ensure we eliminate properly and regularly. Fibre is also a macronutrient meaning we need it everyday, however, animal protein contains little to no fibre. A deficiency in fibre is linked to cancer, heart disease and digestive problems. One serving of kale contains 5 percent of the recommended daily intake of fibre and 2 grams of protein.
3. Iron: Owing to our standard UK diets, even more and more non-vegetarians are deficient in iron. Per calorie, kale has more iron than beef!
4. Calcium: Kale is packed with calcium and is much easier for the body to assimilate than the calcium from dairy products.
5. Essential fatty acids: Essential fats play an important role in our health such as promoting cell regeneration and one serving of kale contains 121 mg of omega-3 fatty acids and 92.4 mg of omega-6 fatty acids.
6. Immunity: Kale is an incredibly rich source of immune-boosting carotenoid and flavanoid antioxidants including vitamins A and C.
7. Sustainable: Kale can grow in most climates and is relatively easy and low impact to grow at home or on a farm.
8. It’s GREEN! Green foods are packed full of chlorophyll making them alkalising and cleansing for the body. Chlorophyll also helps flood the body with oxygen which is essential for our healthy cells.
Kale and Fig Miso Salad
- 2 handfuls kale
- 1/2 beetroot, grated
- 1 handful shelled hemp seeds
- 1 handful pumpkin seeds
- 2 figs, chopped into small chunks
- 2 tbl lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbl hemp oil
- 1 tbl white miso
- 1 fig, chopped
- 1 tbl apple cider vinegar