The Enema

by Polly N on October 18, 2011

Before I even embarked on this journey to heal myself of cancer naturally I was already a full fledged fan of enemas. (That could sound a bit odd but bear with me…) After I had cancer the first time aged 24, I booked myself on a detox retreat in Spain as I figured my body had had a battering from all the toxic chemo crap and radiotherapy and wanted to clean out my system which a 7 day juice fast is perfect for. As well as living off freshly-squeezed juice, supplements and potassium broth for a week, we would do twice-daily coffee enemas.

Source

Now you may be wondering…why coffee? Well, coffee enemas┬ádetoxify the liver and help to open the bile ducts to increase the body’s release of accumulated toxins. If the liver gets overloaded with toxicity, it can lead to more problems.

Dr Max Gerson began using coffee enemas in conjunction with juicing for the hundreds of patients that he cured of serious diseases in the 1940′s and his therapy has continued to do so ever since. His patients experienced a reduction in inflammation in various conditions but as juicing is very detoxifying, he saw that the body could not process and eliminate the toxins quickly enough which is why he began using coffee enemas alongside it.

The Gerson therapy has cured a lot of people from cancer naturally and is often the last resort for people that conventional treatment cannot do anything for. Although I am not on the Gerson therapy myself, I do juice and do regular coffee enemas to help my body detoxify.

And by the way, this treatment doesn’t just help reverse cancer, but any and all diseases. Healing is not selective. You can’t heal one thing in the body without healing something else. When the body heals, it heals.

So if you are thinking about venturing forth into the land of coffee enemas, here’s the lowdown on what you’ll need and how you should prepare it;

You will need:

• Bring 500 ml of water to the boil. When it has boiled, take it off the hob an add 3 tablespoons of coffee. Place it back on the hob and boil for 3 minutes and then let simmer for 15 minutes.
  • Once simmered, remove from the hob and strain the liquid until no coffee granules remain in the liquid.
  • Into your enema kit (ensuring the enema tap is closed), pour approx 250ml coffee into the bag and top up with approx 500ml of pure water. (I tend to top up to just under a litre but only do this once you have tried it a few times as you may find it tricky to take.)
  • Get comfy in your bathroom. I lay a yoga mat out and hang the enema bag on a hook in my shower. I get a book and a pillow and get cosy!
  • Turn the tap on the enema bag to make sure the coffee is running out okay. Close the tap again. Lie on your right hand side, pop the tube up your bottom, turn the tap to open and let the solution drain from the bag. Once there’s no solution left in the bag, turn the tap off and take it out.
  • Lie comfortably for 10-15 minutes or for as long as possible and then sit on the toilet to release.
Have you tried a coffee enema before or would you like to? Let me know your thoughts in the comments box below. xx

Ulrika October 18, 2011 at 10:35 am

Nope I have never tried a coffee enema. I’ve had to go through different types of bowel emptying techniques though because of my health history – everything from laxative pills and enemas to the dreaded phosphoral drink to clear the bowels for medical tests. I always had a difficult time with all sorts of enemas because of the paralysis condition I had as a child – because I don’t have normal sphincter control it was very hard for me to keep them in.

Now I have a colostomy because of my IBS that was quite severe in combination with the pelvic floor dysfunction from the paralysis and that’s given me my life back! I’ve since read ayurvedic recommendations of not doing bowel cleanses et.c. if you have a somehow irritated bowel already. From the practical side though enemas would probably work better with the ostomy. (Some people with ostomies do irrigation daily for example.) But I think it would be uncomfortable due to the IBS bowel’s tendency to react to distention with pain.

I have a question about the coffee part though. Coffee is said to be unhealthy to drink – acid forming et.c. How come it’s good to pour it up the other end? The bowel must surely absorb some of the coffee into the bloodstream the same way it absorbs drugs through suppositories et.c.

polly October 18, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Hi Ulrika

As coffee is a stimulant it helps to stimulate the liver helping it to detoxify deeper and at a faster rate. Some of it will be absorbed but most of it is eliminated shortly afterwards.

Bee December 26, 2013 at 3:29 am

Ulkira, I’m in the same boat with nerve damage, chronic constipation, pelvic floor damage, and rectal prolapse. I do coffee enemas daily to try to stimulate peristalsis and eliminate. My doc is suggesting surgery and possibly an iliostomy. Can u elaborate more on your condition and Joe the surgery to remove ur colon helped? How much was removed? How is life with an ostomy? What dietary and lifestyle changes did u have to make and how did it affect your body physically and esthetically?

Lorna Clansey January 29, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I’m keen to try a DIY cleanse including fasting, juicing,enemas and possibly a parasite cleanse too as a body spring clean. I’ve heard that Wormwood and Black Walnut are excellent at eliminating parasites that we may or may not know we have! I’ve done a 5 day cleanse as part of a program in Thailand, but I’d love any advice/tips as to what if any supplements I should use and thoughts on psyllium/bentonite clay which I used as part of my first cleanse.

polly January 29, 2012 at 8:50 pm

hi lorna, im no detox expert but adding psyllium husks to your juice certainly helps as does bentonite clay. On the juice fast i do in spain we have many different supplements including pancreatin, liver support, omega oils and so on. I would suggest you contact my friend who is a detox expert – http://balancedpath.com/

Gary May 4, 2012 at 5:14 am

Nice procedure list here. In fact, coffee enema is an alternative cancer treatment for cancer, even though it’s not proven scientifically. It also stimulates the liver and helps remove toxins in the body.

Ruby June 27, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I have recently started doing coffee enemas because of various symptoms I have been experiencing for a couple of years now. I have never been a big fan of conventional medicine but was not well informed with alternatives either until I came across the documentary “Beautifull truth” (or something like that). so i did some research and after giving it serious thought i decided to go through wit it.

I must say that i f i would have known about this before i would have saved myself a lot of time and money. A lot of my symptoms disappeared almost immediately and others are getting better. i use to be fatigued all the time now i am actually getting up earlier and energized in the morning. I no longer feel bloated and irritated all the time and if i may say it is also helping with my allergy symptoms which tend to get pretty bad.

I am definitely going to continue enemas. The only question i have is how often should i do them? I read some people recommend everywhere from 2 times daily and up to six times which in my personal circumstance is not reasonable time wise. Any feed back will be greatly appreciated thanks you

Emma August 25, 2012 at 6:06 pm

So happy to have stumbled across this site, thank you Polly! I was introduced to The PH Miracle Diet by Dr. Robert Young a few months back which recommends alkalising the body through eating green raw foods. I also watched the documentary ‘Beautiful Truth’ and ‘Earthlings’ and many short YouTube clips about health and nutrition. I don’t have cancer myself but I have been touched by the devastation it wreaks. It know seems as though I have come full circle! Everything I read or research seems to be connected to something else! I love learning and I will definitely be trying out the coffee enema soon! I’ll let you know how it goes!

Doune March 20, 2013 at 7:05 am

I’m Haitian. Haitian parents usually give us strong bitter coffee with the Castro oil they make in Haiti to drink. They told us it will clean our system. But drinking this think make you use the toilet a lot.

Akosuo June 20, 2013 at 7:54 pm

How do one use castor oil and coffee enema

polly June 22, 2013 at 2:06 pm

The post you have commented on explains what the enema is for.:)

Egg August 22, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Hey Polly,

You say to lay on your right side, but shouldn’t you lay on your left side to fill your descending colon first?

polly August 27, 2013 at 4:17 pm

They say to lie on the right as thats the side your liver is on so for a coffee enema especially this is ideal as it helps to stimulate the liver to work faster and harder to eliminate toxins.

shawn underwood September 29, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Just found your website under a google search :newest help for leg lymphedema. Very interesting stuff you’ve discovered.
I have lymphedema in one leg that’s been surgically corrected but my leg is always still a bit puffy UNLESS I’m eating super healthy. So I’m interested.
One question. Do you still wear a compression stocking? Or I guess I should say, did you ever wear one?

Thanks
Shawn

polly October 1, 2013 at 9:19 am

Hi Shawn, no, I no longer need to wear my stocking. Thanks

karan k December 21, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Hey Shawn,

I am a 24 year old suffering from multiple lymphedema, can you please guide me regarding the surgery?

Thanks

Judy October 28, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Don’t laugh but I really do struggle giving myself an enema; firstly, trying to get the blooming thing in – often meeting resistance even with lubrication – and then after five minutes of frustration, suddenly it gives and goes in smoothly (well usually but not always and sometimes I have to give up). Secondly, trying to reach the tap to turn the thing on once it’s up one’s bottom. Only one hand will reach, so turning on the rather stiff tap is a real challenge. No-one else on the internet seems to have these sort of problems, or if they do, no-one is admitting it!!

jd December 4, 2013 at 10:01 am

Hello judy dose the caster oil help with a. high heal hernia and if so do i take it by mouth and how many spoons of it should i take i remember when my mom gave me this when i got sick and the nasty taste it has lol lol me and my friends. always talked about getting this lol lol