Green Smoothie Queen

by Polly N on October 17, 2011

Now green juices are my first love but green smoothies come a close second. The difference between juices and smoothies is that the smoothie contains all the fibre of the fruit and vegetable which helps the body to eliminate in a timely fashion! The reason I drink green smoothies over purely fruit smoothies is because greens are the source of life. Green leafy vegetables are a fantastic source of protein and are packed with chlorophyll, oxygen and phytonutrients and including them in a smoothie makes it much easier for the body to assimilate and saves you having to chow down on a tonne of the stuff.

So the general rule for making a green smoothie is using 60% fruit and 40% greens which makes it much tastier than drinking straight greens! You can use apples, pears, kiwi, banana, berries, peaches, oranges……you name it!

In the video below, I use a pear, banana and frozen berries to make a light morning snack. Check it out and if you like it, please share it and let me know in the comments below what you like to put in your smoothies!

Helen Barker October 17, 2011 at 11:13 am

Loving the green smoothies myself at the moment. I read Victoria Boutenko’s ‘Green for Life’ and now I’m hooked. My poor juicer has been sidelined! I don’t yet have a high-speed blender (yet) but my old moulinex is still going strong, just takes a bit longer than yours. This morning I had a very basic smoothie with a cup of spring water, 1/2 a canteloupe melon, 1 apple and a head of romaine lettuce. Really easy, very delicious and takes less than a minute to make. I love the way you save on the washing up and just go straight in with a straw – fantastic.

Love & happiness to you and your family.

Helen x

Ulrika October 17, 2011 at 11:16 am

Hmmm. I like bananas because of the texture they give to the smoothie. So I use a banana as base almost every time I make one. Frozen fruit or berries are often included too. Sometimes I use water and sometimes rice milk as that is what is most easily available there (as milk replacement). Would love to try almond milk but haven’t got around to making my own yet – I just think it sounds delicious. :) Sometimes I do throw in a few nuts of some sort into the smoothie though. Another thing I am planning on trying is adding avocado for texture and fat.

I’d love it if you would make more vlogs preparing simple meals! I know that you have courses and sell your books et.c. so you don’t want to give it all away for free, but just some simple ideas would be nice. I’d like some inspiration. I am not planning on going raw or vegan right now but want to be healthy. I am pregnant at the moment and have been feeling sick a lot so I’ve had to eat whatever’s been possible to get to stay in the stomach. 😛 And unfortunately with the exception of dinner it’s been pretty bad… Am now 12 weeks along so hoping to feel better soon and more into healthy stuff. (It’s weird huh – before pregnancy you think you’re going to be super healthy during pregnancy and then it hits you with nausea big time and all you can manage to keep down are the weirdest things like potato chips, sandwiches, yogurt and ginger ale… When you’d thought you’d be making juices and having fruit and veggies like never before… But soon I’m sure I will. I’m trying my best to have at least a healthy dinner as that’s when I feel ok.)

Btw – a question about pregnancy and raw food. A lot of things raw are raw instead of pasteurized I guess – I’m thinking about things like cacao, honey et.c. – are there any products that for this reason should be avoided during pregnancy?

polly October 18, 2011 at 9:26 am

Hi Ulrika

Congrats on your pregnancy!
I will try and do more vlogs on preparing food….I promise! Re eating raw while pregnant, I recommend the book Evies Kitchen by Shazzie as she writes extensively about this and has raised her daughter on raw food so check it out as its a great book!

xx

Danielle October 18, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I recently read your story in Glamour magazine and i have to say it has been a huge boost to my family life at the moment. We can relate so much to your story as my mum also had cervical cancer which traveled to the ovaries and she got the all clear , however she has metastasis on her lungs which has began to grow. Unfortunately chemotherapy hasn’t worked second time around and we are currently waiting to see a professor on what other treatments are available. Since reading your story i have been doing a huge amount of research on the foods my mum should be eating and what she should be avoiding! today we made our first spinach and apple juice and she really enjoyed it. As we are new to this do you have any tips or any recommendations on absolutely anything which would help! we would be so grateful!!!! thank you :)
Danielle x x x

Tom December 6, 2011 at 11:51 am

I thoroughly recommend having a really good explore of this site. Polly has accumulated a truly amazing wealth of knowledge and she’s shared so much of it throughout these pages. Thinking of your mum and wishing you all good health. X

Terry November 24, 2011 at 11:43 am

Polly,
Thanks for yr great advice re the green smoothies, I,ve just purchased a smoothie maker and was looking for some new healthy recipes. You mentioned a superfood algae on the vlog, do you have a list of other reccomended superfoods to add? Also I presume frozen greens are okay to use same as frozen fruit, just if didnt have fresh greens to hand.
Cheers
Terry

Aleisha January 3, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Hi, can you pls type what was said in the video and what did you add etc because I’m deaf. Thankyou

polly January 3, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Hi, its 1 pear, 1 banana, a handful frozen berries and a handful of greens with a touch of water to help it blend. Enjoy! x