Super Nutritious Sandwich

by Polly N on October 20, 2011

So one of the things you might think you miss out on when eating more raw food is, bread. And while that isn’t actually a bad thing as conventional bread, especially white is super addictive and sugar-laden, there is such a thing as “raw bread” or “sprouted bread“. Sometimes a salad or other alternatives just don’t cut it and today was one of those days, so I made myself one of my favourite sandwiches.

It was really quick and easy as I had some unopened sprouted bread in the cupboard so I sliced to pieces, mashed half an avocado with some lime juice and Celtic sea salt, spread it over the bread, added tomatoes and alfalfa sprouts and hey presto! When I’ve used the pieces of bread that I want, I cut the rest of the loaf into slices (as it’s harder to cut when frozen) and stick it in the freezer. When I next want to use it, all I need to do is pull out a slice and let it defrost for a few minutes.

What do you like to put in your sandwiches?

Ray Scott October 20, 2011 at 2:07 pm

What do I like in my sandwiches? Will you make me one if I tell you?

Ulrika October 20, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Avocado is definitely a favorite. :)

Ulrika October 20, 2011 at 2:26 pm

A quick question for you btw. I was thinking about this yesterday – a lot of vegan cookbooks sort of simplify vegan cooking by replacing animal products with “fake” vegan ones. Often processed types of meat and cheese replacements – often based on soy. Now I’m a bit skeptical about soy in general and especially about heavily processed stuff containing a bunch of things I don’t really know what it is… So here’s my question – in your opinion – if you don’t feel like abandoning that type of food what would be best – to have a largely plant based diet with small additions of animal products, say, some fish and dairy daily or a vegan diet with a larger amount of more unnatural processed vegan meat/dairy replacements?

Just wondering as some vegans seem to talk a lot about how you can replace pretty much everything with soy products – but then I feel if you end up having soy 3 times a day how much better is that especially if the products contain more weird ingredients than natural dairy/meat. :)

polly October 20, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Im not a fan of the fake meats as they too are processed. So it’s a personal choice.Whether you decide to eat meat/fish or eat more substitutes,make sure they are a side serving as opposed to a main sized serving and consume in moderation. Ie 3-4 times a week.

Susanelizabeth October 20, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Is your raw bread Ezekiel Bread?

polly October 20, 2011 at 7:28 pm

yes its the same as Ezekiel ;o)

Ulrika October 20, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Ok – I’d say that at the moment I have fish (sometimes though more rarely chicken or turkey) at half the lunch/dinner meals per week and vegetarian protein the rest of the meals (typically different types of beans). However I usually split the “portion size” (about 120 g) fish in two pieces as I feel that’s enough for me. When it comes to dairy Swedish sour cream is the product I eat most and I also tend to overdose that as it tastes so good but trying to be more moderate about it. I’m a farmer’s daughter but after I got IBS and experimentally cut out all dairy for about 1.5 years I can no longer drink milk so I use rice milk and for cooking I use oat cream. The only meat replacement I use and like the taste of is quorn mince which I probably eat in some form about once a week. I find it’s great for making tacos. :)

GetSkinnyGoVegan October 20, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Looks delicious!! @Ulrika, there are also SO many books that don’t use fake anything. I personally am GF and so really don’t use those things right now. Hubby does, and that’s fine. But I prefer to use food in it’s own packaging, if I can. Raw Food books will not use those substitutes. You can eat lots of brown rice, millet, quinoa, beans & veggies. No need to eat soy at all. Or make your own burgers (they sell them too) without those ingredients! Being Vegan can be whatever you want it to be. But Old School Vegans never had those products to begin with, so it’s not hard to do without!

Suzanne October 21, 2011 at 6:34 am

Hi Polly, I like to eat apple, onion, lettuce and sultanas in a sandwich it tastes great. X

Vikki October 27, 2011 at 11:22 am

I came across this recipe when I was stuck in an airport one time. (really surprised me to find something so healthy and it tastes great). Hounous, spinach, rocket and carrots (lots of carrots – grated)