Recipe: 10 Reasons To Drink Green Smoothies

by Polly N on February 29, 2012

As you’ll know by now, I’m a big fan of juices and smoothies and my recent post on how to make the perfect green smoothie was loved and commented on by many. But I’m actually going to mix it up today by giving you a recipe for a mixed veg and fruit smoothie, just to get your taste buds going! Smoothies can actually be a mix of veg, greens and fruit – it’s really up to your taste buds but if you are new to green smoothies, I suggest you stick with the 60/40 rule; 60% fruit to 40% greens. Then, when your tastebuds are more accustomed, you can start to branch out. What you don’t want to do though, is use things like broccoli and cabbage in a smoothie. That would be vile! Reserve the harsher tasting veg for juices only.

If you’re not yet converted on green smoothies, then let me give you a few compelling reasons why they rock!

1. By blending greens and fruit, it makes it a whole lot easier and quicker to consume a handful of spinach, kale, chard, lettuce or whatever your green fix is.

2. Greens are extremely alkalising and help to balance the body’s pH.

3. They are a super quick way to flood the body with much needed vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and antioxidants.

4. You can add all sorts of superhero superfoods from chlorella to spirulina to maca to bee pollen.

5. By drinking green smoothies, you feel more energised as a result of drinking fresh living produce.

6. Regular consumption can assist in weight loss.

7. Breaking down the cellular walls of the fruit and veg in the blender, lessens the load on the body’s digestion meaning your energy can be used elsewhere to heal and repair.

8. Green leafy veg and other vegetables have an anti-inflammatory effect, helping to reduce pain and inflammation in joints and on a cellular level within the body.

9. You can carry them with you in a jam jar (like I do when I’m on the move) which is much easier then scoffing down a salad when you’re short on time. Warning: you may receive some odd stares on the tube, on the bus and in shops, like I often do, but it always makes for interesting conversation AND gives you an opportunity to spread the green smoothie love worldwide!

10. Green foods are packed full of oxygen which helps to oxygenate the blood and helps to prevent disease.

In today’s recipe, I decided to mix it up a little and use some veggies in the form of carrots. It still tasted sweet and was very enjoyable so I hope you try it as I’d love to hear what you think.

Positively Pear

• 1 cup water or coconut water
  • 1 large handful spinach, romaine lettuce, kale or chard
  • 1 apple
  • 1 pear
  • 1 inch lemon, peeled
  • Combine all in a high-speed blender and whizz until smooth.

If you need it a bit sweeter, add a drop of calorie-free stevia.

Check out some other green smoothie recipes here; John’s Banana Smoothie¬†, Purple Papaya, Purple Almond

Kimberley - Dream. Delight. Inspire. March 1, 2012 at 6:42 am

LOVE my daily green smoothie and have finally found a kale stockist! They’re so filling and I definitely feel like I have more energy due to all the nutrients and super foods that I’m consuming. Will have to give that recipe a go! :)

stacy March 4, 2012 at 9:08 am

I love what you are doing on this site , love the passion ,the information, and it gives me the insperation to eat well. I saw that you use spiraulina in some of your smothies . Where is the best place where you buy it from, and why, and have you any worries about the things to be aware of when using spiralina as i have done some reading about its good and bad but it sounds like a really great thing to take ?? Thanks for you opnion , its really valued.!!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. March 11, 2012 at 10:24 pm

wow i really like your site! I found you from your article in Mind Body Green. I really like your thinking and recipes. Hope to connect with you more!

polly March 13, 2012 at 10:24 am

Thanks Alison – im glad you found me too! ;o)

Cortney March 15, 2012 at 7:27 pm

I can’t make carrots work for my smoothies…even my awesome vitamix can’t manage to make them smooth…so there are tiny bits of chewable carrots…not fun. I also find that a smoothie without SOME kind of fleshy fruit–banana, mango, avocado–SOMETHING won’t ever have a creamy texture…any thoughts?

polly April 27, 2012 at 8:12 am

Hey Cortney, if you’re going to add carrots to a smoothie you need to add lots of liquid as its going to bulk it out a lot! They key is to always add in something nice tasting like banana, mango, papaya, avo so that its tastes enjoyable to drink. If you just go for veggies, its gonna be hard to stomach! x

Tim April 8, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Polly – don’t be shy about cabbage in your smoothie. It’s a regular part of my breakfast smoothie and tastes just fine! I haven’t yet tried broccoli in a smoothie. Will have to give that a go!

Fausto February 25, 2013 at 8:21 pm

The importance of very good health care can be seen in the hopes of a people who
are yearning for overall health. Being rich or to produce
some thing in your life, you have to have that ability or strength.
If you are sick, you are likely not to create your self
in any way. As a result health is wealth which is the greatest lesson that people can
learn nowadays.

Sully March 13, 2013 at 2:58 am

I’m so happy I have found your site. I hope to retreat with you one day! All the best and keep up the great work!

-Sully NYC

Sully March 13, 2013 at 3:04 am

Btw, the always add Greek yogurt to my smoothies for its pro-biotics, protein, and the creaminess it brings to the smoothie. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Huygens May 17, 2013 at 6:55 am

I’m studying at Jackson State University and I would like to voice my affection for your help toward those that seek help with this one subject. You have put in an tremendous level of commitment into these solutions, and it has permitted people in our field to reap great benefits. Your amazing help and advice will mean much to me and much more to my peers.

reen June 8, 2013 at 3:41 pm

ive just started my green smoothies, mainly to reduce weight :) thanks for the cool info :)

Janice Hedley June 18, 2013 at 10:24 am

I have lymphedema for over 50 years

polly June 18, 2013 at 11:25 am

Sorry to hear that but hopefully these tips will help improve your condition.

Ann Zwiacher November 8, 2013 at 4:20 am

I have lymphedema in my right leg.

Kymelle November 16, 2013 at 10:43 am

Just discovered your site Polly. Thanks for the great inspiration! In response to the question another reader asked about adding dairy to smoothies – I have actually read that dairy blocks the absorption of antioxidants, so I try not to have dairy at the same time as foods that are high in these, so as to maximise their benefit. Hope this helps. Thanks again :)