How to make the perfect green smoothie

by polly on February 10, 2012

I am a BIG fan of green smoothies. In fact, I’m a ginormous fan of anything GREEN! Especially green foods. We simply don’t eat enough. So when I discovered that you could actually drink your greens rather than having to chow down on a tonne of spinach, chard or kale, I was over the moon! Green smoothies are a super quick and easy way to get a truck load of vitamins, minerals, enzymes and phytonutrients into that gorgeous body of yours in super fast time. I use my Vitamix to pulverise all the goodies and flood my body with the good stuff. Check out the below guide to help you make the perfect smoothie.

maketheperfectgreensmoothie

If you’re wondering what the difference between a smoothie and a juice is, check out my earlier post here on Juice vs Smoothies. I also use nut milk or fresh apple juice as the liquid element so play around with this.

Tell me in the comments below – what’s your favourite smoothie?

HAPPY BLENDING!

Rachael Phillips February 10, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I’ve recently started on the green smoothies and the difference is amazing. I feel like I’ve more energy, my skin has improved and I make them in 2 day batches so every other day I don’t have to faff about making breakfast.

I’ve tried a few different combos, I added beetroot the other week because I love it and of course beet is good for you but it tasted too earthy and over powering. THe best thing about green smoothie is its also a sweet fix because of the fruit.

I may give your suggestion of green tea a go next week!

My fave combo is spinach, banana, pineapple and water. I don’t add sweetner as the pineapple and banana provide all the sweetness I need!

polly February 10, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Thanks so much for sharing Rachael! x

Jai February 11, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I just thought I would add a couple of smoothies I make.

For green smoothies or juicing I add tumerine and fresh
Organic pepper for its cancer and anti inflammatory properties.

Also, fresh pineapple, ginger and banana is a great morning
Smoothie.

Thanks for all the tips Polly! I’m learning so much.

polly February 11, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Cool – thanks so much Jai ;o)

Laura February 13, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I’ve just started getting into green smoothies in the new year. I have two I love:

#1
Two big handfuls of spinach
Two big handfuls of romaine lettuce
1 apple
1 pear
Juice of 1/2 lemon
*sometimes add banana or berries too :)

#2 (not sure of quantities – it’s from the green juice bar doing the street!)
Kale
Apple
Avocado
Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice

polly February 13, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Hey Laura – thanks for sharing! They both sound delicious! x

Lisa Almgren February 13, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Hi and thanks so much for a great website :)

I have recently started with the green smoothies and it make me feel so good. I usually take it in the morning and it feel so fresh to start the day with this :) I love cinnamon. Do you have any good recepie with cinnamon?

Thanks again :)

Warmly,
Lisa

polly February 13, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Hey Lisa

Thanks for stopping by. Try my Vanilla Blueberry Chai shake with cinnamon ;o) http://pollynoble.com/2011/08/vanilla-blueberry-chai-super-shake/

Naomi March 13, 2012 at 9:41 am

Thanks Polly for this, the green smoothie thing has always been a mystery to me… but I had it while I was getting over a virus and had no appetite for much, and was really impressed, it was actually really nice, and I even had most of the stuff in the cupboard/fridge even though I’d not been out shopping for a while. As someone who struggles with breakfast I think this might be my solution.

Lisa February 11, 2013 at 5:37 pm

How are you? I’m new to this :-/ I have some organic virgin coconut oil – the solid stuff – is this the coconut oil you refer to above and do I add it in it’s solid state. r melt it first? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Hope all is going well with you

Thanks in advance

Lisa x

polly February 11, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Hey Lisa,
Yep its the same. (the butter is the hard stuff but has a low melting point so at different times of the year it will be oil). For a smoothie, its up to you, you can use it hard or soft. Let me know what you make! x

lisa February 23, 2013 at 7:53 am

Hey Polly!

I’ve been experimenting and I had this for breakfast today –

2 tbpns coconut butter
2 ” raw cacao
1 ” maca
Half a mango
1 small banana
2 big handfuls of Spinach

I also added a little squirt of Sweet Freedom. Not sure that you would approve entirely as it’s not strictly raw BUT I figure it’s better than eating my usual breakfast of 4 slices of heavily buttered thick fruit loaf!

I have been eating cleaner and greener for 4 weeks now – I’ve lost 14 lbs and feel amazing too. 1 year out of treatment on 1st March – yay! Latest CT results show significant improvement to my liver – double yay! I am putting it all down to my diet and lifestyle changes.

Thank you so much for sharing all that you do with us and I hope you are recovering well. Sending you lots of love and positivity.

Lisa xx xx

lisa February 23, 2013 at 7:55 am

ps – meant to say that the smoothie was delish!!

Lisa February 12, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Thank you so much Polly. I hobbled together some spinach and kiwis with some coconut water and one tablespoon each of maca and coconut butter sweetened with two dates. Definitely a work in progress! It was quite peppery :-/ xx

marlyn February 13, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Nice website,gives delicious ideas. I tried my first smoothie it was a handfull of spinach (could handle a little more spinach with no problem) two oranges, banana and a little water. Loved it :)

lime green September 24, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Heya i’m for the primary time here. I found this board and I find It
truly useful & it helped me out much. I am hoping to provide
one thing back and help others such as you helped me.

Delphine December 12, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Your green juices are terrific ! I made one with some kale, coconut, strawberries, honey, maca and green tea.I did not have any chia seeds.

The result is that I never felt as good as that before!

My lymphedema has completely disappeared for 3 hours now, don’t need to wear my garment so far.( will wear it tonight ) . I felt a big thrill all over my body, then felt very cold and very hungry but I have more energy than ever. It is strange cause my husband tasted the green juice I made but he did not feel as good as I did. It probably works better on People whose lymphs are affected.

I started to read your book as well . I wish my mother could have read the book when she was still alive. Very inspiring.

I will definitely keep on making your green juices in the future.

Thanks a mil.

Delphine

Helen Boyd January 29, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Hi Polly, where do you get your mason jars from that your green juices are often photographed in? Thanks Helen

polly January 30, 2014 at 5:32 pm