Recipe: Apple & Cranberry Biscuits

by Polly N on February 13, 2012

One of the things I miss most from my old junk food eating days is biscuits. I could very easily inhale a whole packed of Hob nobs without even batting an eyelid. Yes I know, shocking behaviour! Now that I eat a mostly raw vegan diet, I have to find ways to make healthier versions of the food I once loved, but didn’t love me. (My weight fluctuated a lot and most of the time I was eating rubbish food, I felt bloated like a puffa fish!) Getting people to try raw desserts is the quickest and easiest way to initiate them into a world of food that doesn’t require processed sugar, flour or eggs. Who needs that crap anyway?!

I like to find ways to use my nut pulp from making nut milk¬†and this recipe is a perfect example of how there is little to no waste in raw foods. For example, one cup of nuts and 3 cups water makes me some delicious nut milk, and the nut pulp went into making about 20 Apple and Cranberry Biscuits which I can keep stored for any time I have guests or want a little something to satisfy a sweet craving. So how do you make them? Read on….

Apple & Cranberry Biscuits

• 2 apples, cored and peeled
  • 2 cups nut pulp (I used brazil nut pulp)
  • 1/4 cup cashews
  • 4 dates
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries

Process the apples into a puree and transfer to a separate bowl. Place the nut pulp, and cashews into the food processor and process until broken down. Add in the dates, maple syrup and process again. Transfer mixture to bowl with the apple puree and with your hands mix to combine. Finally add in the cranberries and take a small amount for each biscuit, roll into a ball and press to flatten. Put each biscuit on a non-stick Teflex deyhdrator sheet and dehydrate at 115 degrees F for 6-8 hours. Flip over the biscuits and dehydrate until dry.

Shawna Hickey March 11, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Nice website! Thanks for sharing the raw recipes. I too, love raw food and using left over nut pulp in dehydrated treats. I’m curious about the calorie content of nut pulp. Do you have a guess as to what it might be?

Thanks and enjoy your day!
Shawna

Tomas J. Powers May 2, 2012 at 8:02 am

I love your concept and it so true. Very inspiring post you got here.

elizabeth May 5, 2012 at 1:56 pm

These look delicious. I don’t have a dehydrator, can they be baked in an oven?
xx

polly May 5, 2012 at 4:23 pm

sure! dont see why not! x

Gila August 21, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I was just looking for an idea to use the almond pulp from my almond milk I make every week or so. Usually I mix in ground flax seeds, cinnamon and honey and add it to my Fruit-Bottom Yogurt snack which is great. Or to my applesauce with some almond butter on top as a snack. But I was looking for more ideas and I ‘bumped’ into your lovely site. And I love the Raw Apple & Cranberry Biscuits you’ve made. And the picture looks amazing!!! My favorite combination!! But, since I don’t have a dehydrator I thought I would bake these in the oven. 115F should be around
46 Celsius, correct? Should I bake the biscuits in my oven at 46 Celsius or higher settings temp’?
I would appreciate your advice on this so much! Also, if using organic applesauce since I can’t always find organic apples, how much would I need to use instead the two apples? and last one question hopefully not bothering you, can I use walnuts instes cashews?
Thanks in advance!
Gila

polly August 21, 2013 at 6:34 pm

hi Gila! welcome to the site and thanks for following. I would suggest placing the over on low, around 115degF and keep an eye on them as they may burn! I haven’t ever tried it so can’t be sure-sorry! Be careful substituting the apples for applesauce as you may find it becomes too wet so you might be better using another fruit you can get your hands on like pineapple or pear? And yes, you can sub the walnuts/brazils for cashews. Enjoy! Upload your pic to my fb page or on instagram tag #pollyyspath. x

Gila August 22, 2013 at 11:48 am

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate it very much!
And I can see you were right about the applesauce may get it too wet. Didn’t think about that, but it makes sense…
Forgot to ask, should I soak the cashews as well for 2-4 hours before adding to the mixture or just raw as is? Also, should the oven-baked 6-8hr. biscuits version supposed to be firm and crunchy or moist and soft?
Sorry, I am a bit new at this .x
PS, Would love upload my pic to your FB page ..
Thanks again Polly, and just want to tell you I was very impressed with your personal story.

polly August 22, 2013 at 2:42 pm

No i’d leave the cashews dry as then you could you use a touch of applesauce…in place of apples.;o)