Recipe: Coconut Choc Chip Oat Bar

by Polly N on February 2, 2012

After my detox in Spain, I am feeling super re-energised and ready to get back into the kitchen. I have been so busy with Detox Junkie and work behind the scenes on future classes and events that I have neglected what I love to do and that is make FOOD! Yes I really do love food. I always have. When I worked as a city girl in London, I used to scour Square Meal magazine looking for new venues to try each week. Being creative in the kitchen is what I am doing when I lose track of time. I love trying new things and feeding people with yummy healthy raw food!

These are great kept in the freezer (I always have a freezer full of raw chocs, bars and raw ice cream for those time I want a special treat). I just fed my auntie one of these and my other creations from last night (Chocolate Orange Snowdrops and Chocolate Orange Crunch (which taste like heaven by the way and will be going in my next ebook) and she LOVED them!

So here’s how you make them:

Coconut Choc Chip Oat Bars

• 1/2 cup coconut butter (unmelted)
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1 cup desiccated coconut
  • 1/2 cup dried mulberries
  • 1/4 cup cacao nibs (raw chocolate nibs)

Combine the first 3 ingredients in a food processor. Place the oats, coconut, mulberries and cacao nibs in a bowl and mix through. Pour in the coconut butter and syrup mixture and combine thoroughly. Dollop the mixture out into a parchment lined tin and place in the freezer for 1 hour.

P.S. If you don’t have mulberries or cacao nibs, just use cranberries, raisins, gojis or whatever you have available.

ENJOY!

Simone February 2, 2012 at 12:21 pm

hi Polly, this looks yummy…just wanted to clarify, is it coconut butter or coconut oil ? As I have both, and thought coconut butter was always solid, as it is the flesh of the coconut, rather than the oil…thanksyou!

polly February 2, 2012 at 2:15 pm

hiya – yes its the hard stuff (butter unmelted), not oil ;o)

Rhiannon February 2, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Can you eat them at room temperature though? they won’t fall apart if they’re not frozen? xx

polly February 2, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Best kept frozen ;o)

Ana Goncalves February 2, 2012 at 4:05 pm

This looks amazing! I wonder if there can be a replacement used for the coconut butter? Seeing as I’d like to make these today and only have the coconut oil.

Nice to know that you are well, Polly.

polly February 2, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Coconut oil and coconut butter are in my book the same thing – one is hard, (butter), melted is oil ;o)

simone February 2, 2012 at 9:45 pm

ok, you must mean the oil, as coconut butter is definitely different..Artisana do one, which is divine…I add it to smoothies. Coconut oil will melt once temperature rises, whereas coconut butter always remains solid. I come from Australia, and the oil is never hard as it is too hot!

Jess February 6, 2012 at 2:40 pm

This looks like a major superfoods selection. I’ve been looking into detox but I don’t know much about it? I’ll have to look around for more info on your site and how you did it.

Zuzu February 7, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Dear Polly
I love the sound of the recipe and shall give it a try.
I do have a query though- when it comes to juicing and raw food- I know obviously organic is the optimum choice- however, sometimes it is difficult to get a good selection due to where I live and also cost constraints. I’m growing some of my own but is non-organic so bad for you? Will it negate all the goodness of eating raw? Probably a silly question but thanks! Xx

polly February 8, 2012 at 9:12 am

Hey there, I know it can be tricky sometimes but I suggest buying from the dirty dozen if poss – check this out. xx http://pollynoble.com/2010/09/pesticides-on-fruit-and-veg/

Rach // In Spaces Between February 8, 2012 at 12:38 am

Wow, these look amazing! Definitely going to give them a go – huge fan of anything “coconut.” xx