Mistletoe Therapy for Cancer

by Polly N on March 5, 2012

Now, if I were to ask you what springs to mind when I mention mistletoe, your first answer would probably be Christmas time and the prospect of getting a sneaky kiss beneath this wonderful plant. But I want to let you in on a secret…mistletoe is oh so much more than a hanging kissfest! Mistletoe extract has in fact been used for centuries to treat illnesses such as hypertension, epilepsy, headaches, menopausal symptoms, infertility and arthritis. And more recently it has been used to treat those diagnosed with cancer.

Source

The treatment was first introduced by Rudolf Steiner and Ita Wegman in the 1920’s and since then, a number of research projects have been undertaken to investigate the effect of using mistletoe on tumours in animals or plants, in vitro, and on cancer patients.

What’s so good about Mistletoe?

• Extracts of mistletoe have been found to kill mouse, rat and human cancer cells in lab tests
  • Improves immune function
  • It has antitumoural effects when administered either directly into the tumour or systemically
  • It is classified as a biological response modifier (a substance that stimulates the body’s response to infection and disease)
  • Extracts of mistletoe have been shown in the laboratory to prevent the growth of new blood vessels needed for tumors to grow
  • MT can be used safely alongside conventional treatment such as chemo, radiotherapy, hormone therapy and targeted therapies such as Herceptin or Avastin
  • MT has an excellent safety record and is widely used in Europe as a “complementary therapy”
  • Protects the DNA in white blood cells in the laboratory, including cells that have been exposed to DNA-damaging chemo drugs

How is it administered?

MT typically starts with low doses of Mistletoe administered intravenously gradually over time working up to higher concentrations. The aim for using higher doses is to jump-start the immune system and help it to recognise any foreign bodies such as rogue cancer cells.

My Experience

I have been having 2 types of mistletoe treatments. One being the infusions mentioned above which I visit the Raphael Medical Centre in Kent for and the other being an injection of mistletoe that I give myself every 3 days. Both work in slightly different ways to boost the immune system and support the body with fighting disease.

Whatever your opinion about treating cancer naturally or alternatively, I really believe that the future of medicine lie in an integrative approach where the two can co-exist. Sometimes chemo and radiotherapy are required to help slow the growth of some cancers and you know what, we have to make our own decisions based on what we feel is the right thing to do. So I judge no-one for going down that path – who knows, one day I might need it ,so the option of conventional medicine, which is one of many is always available. But I do think that we should do everything we can to support our body undergoing any treatment which is where so-called “complementary” treatments such as Mistletoe and Hyperthermia can really help. Personally, I’m all for anything that can help me continue my existence on this plane for as long as possible.

Have you ever had MT or would you consider it?

julie March 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm

How much would this treatment cost?

polly March 5, 2012 at 9:06 pm

It costs from anywhere from £60 – £200 depending on what you are having. Best to have a chat with the treatment centre.

AnnMarie Kaganovsky March 5, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Is it available in the USA?

polly March 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Im not sure – maybe something to research on google?

Shayne April 30, 2012 at 9:33 am

I am very much scared with that treatment. I’m scared with the side effects. I am very much confused with my health.

polly April 30, 2012 at 9:47 am

Theres nothing to be scared about! If youre interested its best to contact Raphael Medical Centre and discuss the treatment and your concerns with them.

Sheri December 6, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I just came upon your post on mistletoe for cancer. I am considering this treatment for myself in my fight against breast cancer. Wondering how effective it is without conventional treatments? I have been using lots of supplements and the cancer has not progressed since diganosed in 2011. Would love to wipe it out completely!
Thanks for your imput.

polly December 7, 2012 at 10:49 am

Hi Sheri, its certainly worth a try and it cant hurt. I went to the Raphael Medical Centre for treatment. Good luck. x

tsiona January 14, 2013 at 7:03 pm

where is Raphael Medical center?

polly January 14, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Hi Tsiona, its in Kent, Britain.

paleo diet April 16, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Well written. Thank you for taking the time. I’ll return again to read more and tell my acquaintenances about you.

Maria June 16, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I have never heard about MT but will definitely consider using it. 250$ is not too much comparing to some other treatment methods…

Amber August 17, 2013 at 3:40 am

Hi Polly

I have some mistletoe on order and will start the self injections soon as I have recently been through stage 3 melanoma (currently NED). Just wondering how you went around the mental aspect of self injection? Did you get the hang of it quickly or were you apprehensive? Im not really a fan on needles so will have to psych myself up quite a bit I think.

polly August 18, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Hi Amber. No I didn’t really have to worry about the mental side of things. I just got on with it. If you’re not a fan of needles, I can unerstand why you might be hesitant! But it really doesn’t hurt that much. x

Yvonne September 5, 2013 at 11:08 pm

Hello Polly please share where you ordered the self injection materials…I am fighting cancer that has now spread to the heart and I need to move quickly. Please help in providing tis information. Thank you. ‘

By the way self injection is easy you’ll quickly get the hang of it.

polly September 7, 2013 at 10:07 am

Hi Yvonne, I’m not sure you can just order them online as i was under the supervision of a doctor at the Raphael Medical centre http://www.raphaelmedicalcentre.co.uk BUT i wouldn’t pin everything on this personally. Contact a clinic in Germany that does Dendritic cell therapy – google Dr Dagmar Marx as my friend has had some great results there and Im looking into. Also, contact Dr Kate James who will be able to advise as she is very knowledgeable on cancer, the body and how to support it. x

Charley September 28, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your views and experience.
I was wondering if it existed other methods of administrating mistletoe treatment, such as pills, liquids, soft gels, etc.?
Best

polly September 29, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Hi Charley, Im afraid I don’t know. This is the only method im aware of so it might be worth you having a search online! Or speak to Raphael Medical centre in Kent where I had the treatment? Hope that helps. Polly