The 7 C’s I Love & Why

by Polly N on April 16, 2012

There are lots of foods that I love to eat on a mainly raw food diet and 7 of them just so happen to begin with the letter C. Maybe you’ve tried them maybe you haven’t but I recommend all of them for the following reasons;

1. Coconut water – this low-calorie thirst quencher is a cupboard must-have. It’s chock-a-block with potassium, calcium, minerals and electrolytes which help to keep you hydrated. It also contains cytokinins and research has shown it has anti-ageing, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-thrombotic effects. (Factoid – did you know that coconut water was used in the 2nd World War as a substitute for blood plasma? True story!)

2. Cacao – Chocolate in it’s raw form! Yes it comes from the cacao bean which is the richest food source of magnesium, and is high in chromium, iron, calcium, potassium, sulphur, copper and zinc and contains over 300 chemically identifiable compounds. Bring on the raw chocolate!

3. Chia – I have expressed my enduring love for chia before because this little wonder food is a complete protein, contains high levels of omega-3, stabilizes your blood sugar and helps to keep you regular! Check out “7 Reasons to Love Chia”

4. Coconut oil – I am coconut oil’s biggest fan – this stuff ROCKS! It’s the only oil that won’t turn rancid when heated unlike the commonly used olive oil. Before you say, “isn’t it a saturated fat?”…yes it is. BUT, it’s one that our body can metabolise unlike other saturated fats found in things like margarine. It has numerous health benefits including helping prevent osteoporosis, reduces the risk of cancer and heart disease, boosts immunity and stimulates the body’s metabolism. Let’s also not forget that it’s an amazing moisturiser and nourishing hair mask!

5. Coconut butter – Different but just as good as the oil, the butter contains some of the coconut meat making it slightly thicker. It can be confusing as often the butter will melt to oil depending on the weather and temperature in your country. I use this coconut oil/butter to add to smoothies and raw cheesecakes etc.

6. Cinnamon – I love to add cinnamon to smoothies not just because it tastes great but it also helps to lower cholesterol, regulate blood sugar and has been shown to reduce the proliferation of leukaemia and lymphoma cancer cells. Gimme somma that!

7. Camu Camu – This Vitamin C packed superfood has anti-viral and immune-boosting properties as well as being a great source of minerals including iron, niacin, phosphorous, potassium, riboflavin, and beta carotene. I add it to smoothies or add to raw desserts.

Can you think of any more C’s you love? Did I miss any?

Julia April 16, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I agree with all of yours plus cucumber, courgette, carrot, cranberries, coriander & cumin!!

Amber April 21, 2012 at 8:26 am

I know it’s not a food beginning with ‘c’ but reading your article made me think of Amla, and I wondered if you’ve ever tried it. I grew up with my mum mixing it with oil and rubbing it into my hair and years later, even when I temporarily let my health go down the pan, my hair still stayed amazing! Now that I’m back on track health-wise, I’ve learned so much more about the incredible Amla and use it in food too. It has many properties in it to help with healing – including from cancers. Just thought it was worth a mention!

Love and light.

polly April 21, 2012 at 9:16 am

Oh wow, no ive never heard of it! Ill look it up and see if i can get some – where does it come from? Thank you Amber xx

Amber April 21, 2012 at 10:44 am

It’s from India. My grandparents used to have a spoonful everyday and are still rocking it in their old age now! I used to just buy it from Indian grocery shops but I’m not wholly convinced of the quality these days so I’ve started to buy it from rawliving until I’ve researched other sellers. Will let you know if I find out more! Thank you to you too for all your wonderful words of wisdom and information. X

Shayne April 30, 2012 at 10:29 am

All the “C” you have said is truly great. Nothing is comparable with that. Its herbal product and we can surely have the great result. Another letter C is the Castor Oil. This product is truly great to be consider.

polly April 30, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Good point! Although it has its very own blog post here http://pollynoble.com/2012/03/the-healing-power-of-castor-oil/

Elizabeth May 8, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Hi Polly!
Which brand / where would you recommend buying coconut oil from in the UK??

Thanks for your help xx

polly May 8, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I buy my coconut oil from the below companies – Viridian, Biona are good. http://pollynoble.com/store/must-know/ xx

Elizabeth May 9, 2012 at 10:13 am

So helpful as always, thank you!!
xx