Knowing where to start when getting healthy can be somewhat of a challenge if you’re completely new to the concept of detox. Detoxification is nothing new however – our bodies have been doing it since the day we were born. Detoxification is one of the body’s most basic automatic functions of eliminating and neutralizing toxins through the colon, liver, kidneys, lungs, lymph and skin. However, with the number of chemicals and pollutants swimming around in our food, air and water supply, our bodies get overworked and need a helping hand.
So here are 12 things you can do today to help clean up your inner ecosystem without having to embark on a massive cleanse. Just start with one thing and work your way up. And don’t stress it!
1. Go green – Adding more greens to your diet, whether eating or juicing them will help to alkalise your body, send much needed nutrients to your cells for cleansing, repair and regeneration not to mention replenishing those all important red blood cells. Here are some juicing ideas.
2. Get brushing – Sloughing off dead skin cells with a dry skin brush helps to get the lymphatic system moving and move toxins out of the body. Let’s not ignore the fact that it can also help reduce cellulite!
3. Get high on H20 – Drinking enough water everyday is super important in staying hydrated and helping to flush out toxins and impurities so swap the soda for water!
4. Herb it up – Adding herbs like coriander, parsley and watercress to your meals or juices is an easy way to help rid the body of toxins. Watercress is especially good at energising cleansing enzymes in the liver.
5. Move your ass – Yup, exercise, exercise. Shaking your booty whether it be dancing away to your fave tunes, jumping on the rebounder, getting your downward dog on or going for a run helps to get the lymph moving and gets you sweating it out!
6. Breathe deep - According to the ‘Tao of Breathing’ up to 70% of our body’s waste products are eliminated via our lungs and the rest through the urine, skin and feces. So when we shallow breathe, less oxygen is available to our cells which slows down the flow of blood carrying waste from the kidneys and lungs.
7. Get your enema on – I am a big fan of cleansing the colon whether it be through enemas which you can do at home or visiting a colon hydrotherapist. Check out how to do an enema here.
8. Fibre Frenzy – By adding sufficient fibre to your diet, you naturally help to cleanse the colon as it works as an internal sweep helping to remove any undigested food from your intestines. Chia seeds are great for this.
9. Hot’n Cold Hydrotherapy – By switching the water in your shower from hot to cold and back again a few times, you help to wake up the lymphatic system, boost the immune system and increase detoxification.
10. Turn that frown upside down – Smiling can completely change your internal system. Even though you may not feel like smiling, by doing so, it helps to reduce stress and gradually change your mood. Stress is super toxic for the body, creates acidity and can prevent our body from carrying out its important functions so crack us a smile!
11. Dump the junk – Removing addictive foods such as refined sugars, processed foods, drugs and alcohol will help to improve your body’s pH and help normalise your internal ecosystem. The internal state of our body is massively overlooked and what you put into your body plays a major role in the level of health you experience. If there is substance abuse involved, checking into Ohio inpatient detoxification centers or other similar facilities in the country may be necessary.
What are your favourite ways to detox?
If you fancy having a go at a 48 hour juice fast, check out my ebook Clarity Cleanse.