One of the things I hear most from people is that they get stuck eating the same thing over and over again and lack variety in their diets. This is where I think superfoods play a super important role in helping to increase your nutritional intake without having to get fancy or dream up culinary creations just to get your fix of the good stuff. So I thought I would tell you about the 9 superfoods that I personally don’t think enough people are eating and will be incredibly beneficial in helping you to grow big and strong like Supergirl. (Because who doesn’t wanna be like Supergirl?! She’s awesome!)
1. Chia seed are my one of my fave foods. A complete protein containing loads of easily digestible protein that helps to cleanse internal organs, this food is for those that want to be warrior. Check out my post on “7 Reasons to Love Chia“.
2. Spirulina is a blue green algae that offers 60-70% vegetable protein, essential vitamins, phytonutrients, antioxidants and is rich in iron, magnesium, calcium, vitamin B12 and trace minerals. Add to your favourite green smoothie. Wanna try John’s Banana Smoothie?
3. Hemp Seeds are a great source of omega 3 fatty acids which are essential for brain function and healthy cell regeneration and they are a fantastic source of protein. Sprinkle on salads, add to smoothies or make hemp milk.
4. Bee pollen is a little known food but packs a punch with its complete protein and amino acid profile containing 5 to 7 times the amino acids found in equal amounts to beef, milk, eggs and cheese. Its helps to boost the immune system, alleviate allergies and is great for depression, digestion, fertility, weight loss, boosting energy, cramps and anti-aging.
5. Kukicha Twig Tea is called twig tea and it’s been around for centuries. It’s made with the stems, stalks, and twigs of the tea plant. It’s known as a peasant’s drink in Japan but in the West we’ve started to praise the health benefits of the tea for its ability to promote longevity. It’s especially known for its ability to balance acidity in the body, which can lead to disease and ill health down the line.
6. Kale is knockout superfood for many reasons; it’s super super anti-inflammatory, it’s packed with calcium, iron, fibre, EFA and the all important chlorophyll. Check out “8 Reasons to Love Kale” and my much-loved recipe for Kale crisps! Cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, kale, cabbage, cauliflower, radish, collards and brussel sprouts contain compounds with proven anti-cancer activity.
7. Coconut oil / coconut butter ROCKS! It’s the only oil that won’t turn rancid when heated unlike the commonly used olive oil. It has numerous health benefits including helping prevent osteoporosis, reduces the risk of cancer and heart disease, boosts immunity and stimulates the body’s metabolism. Let’s also not forget that it’s an amazing moisturiser and nourishing hair mask! Add to smoothies, use for cooking, making cheesecakes and desserts.
9. Garlic contains compounds that promote apoptosis in colon, breast, lung, prostate cancer as well as leukaemia. This compound also exists in onions, leeks, shallots and chives. Garlic is much more easily assimilated by the body when crushed and dissolved in a drop of olive oil. Add to salads, soups, raw nut cheese.
What are your favourite superfoods? Let me know in the comments below and be sure to share this with your friends!