Why I Spent £1900 On A Juicer

by Polly N on May 10, 2012

Holy Crap! I just spent £1900 on a juicer. Yes you heard me right – a juicer! I never thought I would be able to say that I spent that much money on a machine that makes juice – a Jimmy Choo handbag yes – a juicer, NO! But my health is too important to me and I want to feed my body the best medicine I can give it. So I went for it.

What’ so super duper magical about this machine that makes it worth nearly £2000? (Well its around £1500 but i paid £300 for delivery from the USA which bumped it up a fair bit. Well there are several reasons.

1. The Norwalk is a 2 part cold press juicer meaning that the juice doesn’t get heated by the extraction process

2. It extracts the highest amount of nutrients compared to other juicers (check out the stats here)

3. You get the highest yield of juice as the pulp comes out drier than a pancake. (In fact it came out so dry that my friend and I tried to cook it – we called it our Carrot Pancake)

It is super heavy so it won’t be coming with me when I go to France in a few weeks for my best friend’s wedding. Instead I will be taking my KT100. Although the price tag is a little hard to swallow, they say that the machine eventually pays for itself. Here’s what is says on their website.

The Norwalk Juicer Produces 50-100% more juice than other juicers: Based on organic produce costing an average of $1.50 per pound people who drink 12 glasses of juice per day will save $3000 per year in organic produce using the Norwalk over another juicer! Anyone who drinks 4 glasses of juice per day will save $1000 per year in produce, for the rest of their lives!

It’s very easy to clean as it’s stainless steel so providing you dismantle it immediately after juicing, all you have to do is run it under the tap and hey presto. Here’s what else it says as to why the Norwalk is superior.

Complete extraction. The tremendous pressure exerted by the Norwalk Hydraulic Press gently and completely extracts the natural fruit sugars, vitamins, trace minerals, enzymes, and other vital elements. This imparts to the juice an extremely fine quality and flavor which is unequaled by any other method of juice extraction.

Frozen Juices. Norwalk juices may be deep frozen and held for periods of up to 6 months with very little loss in food values. Green juices may be made up in quantities in season and frozen in ice cube trays and stored in plastic bags in your deep freeze.

Storage of juices. The Hydraulic Press method of juice extraction provides a minimum mixing of air with the juices which results in very slow oxidation or decomposition. This is why Norwalk juices may be kept refrigerated in closed containers for several days with little, if any, apparent loss of flavor, color or, vital elements. With the Norwalk it is possible to keep the refrigerator stocked at all times with a variety of delicious and satisfying juices with only occasional use of the juicer required.

Simple and efficient. So simple, that a 25-pound sack of carrots may be juiced in 20 minutes, providing 7 to 8 quarts of juice. Many Norwalk owners juice only 1 or 2 times a week to keep their refrigerator stocked with a variety of fresh juices.

Yes I know you might be thinking “Great, I’ve just gone and bought a masticating juicer/centrifugal juicer which I thought was good and now I learn that it’s not as good as I thought!” The truth is, no probably not. But unless you are willing to fork out big bucks, then stick with what you’ve got. Juicing with whatever machine you have is better than not juicing at all. Plus, if you are an occasional juicer then, what you have probably suits your needs so fret not! Keep juicing and enjoy!

I just wanted to let you know about my new purchase as it’s all a bit exciting! Unfortunately, I can’t wear it like a Jimmy Choo handbag but making sure I’m healthy from the inside out is kind of sexier…as much as I love my Jimmy.

If you are looking to upgrade your juicer, you can’t go wrong with a masticating juicer. Check out my faves here.

Not sure what the difference is between a juice or a smoothie? Read this.

Want some advice on what juicer to buy? Check this out.

Have you heard of Norwalk? Do you fancy getting one?

GetSkinnyGoVegan May 12, 2012 at 3:35 pm

It “seems” like a LOT of money now. But……..later you will never think of the money & just realize that over your lifetime you have spent lots of money on stupid things that you no longer value. I doubt the Norwalk will be one of them. I have NEVER regretted it, the Vita-Mix (which was a wedding gift), or the Dehyrdator. I don’t use my juicer daily, but I go through phases. And I would use it daily if the occasion arose. Best wishes & congratulations on the juicer.

kate May 14, 2012 at 10:43 am

I am so envious! I currently have a Hurom Slow Juicer which I am rapidly falling out of love with as the screens are flimsy, highly breakable and take a lot of elbow grease to get clean. I have been eyeing the Norwalk for ages, but could not find a UK distributor and at this stage cannot quite reach the price tag. It is definitely on my future wish list!
I would love to hear more about your experiences of using it and how it stacks up against the company literature.

polly May 14, 2012 at 12:04 pm

There isnt a UK distributor – you have to buy from the US which hikes up the cost massively!!

Nik June 5, 2012 at 6:00 pm

When you ordered your juicer from the US, did you have to pay duty and VAT on delivery?

polly June 18, 2012 at 10:31 am

No it comes from the UK using the code on the vitamix sales page. ;o)

Mitch June 20, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Could you explain how to buy juicer from USA without paying duty and vat?

polly June 21, 2012 at 9:18 am

I dont think there is a way unfortunately! Not with the Norwalk anyway..

Helen Weekes November 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Please can you tell me about the ‘plug’ and wattage compatability with the UK. It came from America, so how come you could use it here?

polly November 2, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Hi – I just use an adapter plug.

maritza F November 7, 2012 at 11:23 am

Hi, im planning to buy a norwalk juicer from USA too. But I am unsure what will I end up paying when it arrives here in the UK. I noticed you said you paid £300 for the delivery. But it is no clear for me if you had to pay the duty or tax. Also did you buy it from the manufacturer or other website? I hope you can help me with this as I am worry I will end up paying so much money when it arrives.

polly November 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Yes I did have to pay tax on it. The only place to buy Norwalk is from Norwalk’s website as far as I know as they don’t use distributors.

Cindy January 27, 2013 at 4:08 am

The Norwalks are available refurbished on eBay. Just call first, as recommended, and they’ll answer any questions you have. I just ordered my new juicer directly from Norwalk, but had talked with the eBay seller first, earlier today. I’d have had no problem buying it refurbished – they do a great job. Happy Jiucing!

Cindy January 27, 2013 at 4:11 am

*juicing

Damian March 9, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Hi Poly, is 1900 with the tax or without?

polly March 11, 2013 at 10:42 am

Hi, it was 1900 without tax I think :O/

Howard May 24, 2013 at 4:00 pm

I’m also based in the UK and wanted to get a clear idea of how much the import duty and customs charges were on a Norwalk?
Thanks
Howie

polly May 25, 2013 at 9:06 am

Hi Howie, from memory i think it was about £300-400.

Carmel October 23, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Hi
Polly what adapter have you got to convert to uk voltage ?
And where did you get it ?
Thanks in advance

Carmel October 27, 2013 at 8:26 am

Hi could you tell me how you have converted the juicer to correct voltage for the UK ?

polly November 6, 2013 at 5:00 pm

hi carmel, i just used an ordinary adapter.

Ritu December 20, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I too am based in the UK and have stumbled upon your amazing website whilst investigating the Norwalk juicer. Now that some time has passed and you would have had a a chance to use the Norwalk consistently. Would you say that you have found this purchase a) worth the money b) enhanced your juicing experience c) encountered any problems with using the Norwalk d) anything else that u can tell me that you didn’t know before purchasing the juicer. I’m this close to buying one!!! I would any jewels of information you can offer me!
Ritu

polly December 31, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Hi Ritu, did you buy a Norwalk juicer in the end as Im selling mine.

Nikki January 6, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Is your Norwalk still for sale? May I ask you why are you selling it?

Ritu January 16, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Hi Polly, just seen your reply!! My Norwalk arrived yesterday. I’ve just taken it out of the box. Can you please tell me why you are selling yours??? Am i going to be disappointed??? Also can you tell me…can i just buy a normal USA-UK adapter plug or do i need to get a transformer?? Slightly confused. Thanks in advance

Ritu

polly January 17, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Hi Ritu,
You’ll love it! Im selling because I bought it to try out for the business and blog and me! and while its great, I have a lot of juicers so just making some space in my life ;o) I just used an adapter plug. Did you buy yours direct from USA Norwalk or second hand UK?

Ritu January 18, 2014 at 10:29 am

Hi Polly

I bought mine direct from Norwalk USA…really excited about trying it out! Can i ask…did you have any problems with the gaps around the corners of the hydraulic press?? I saw some videos (Kirsty Raw) where they used silicone cork to seal these before they started using their machine. Just wanted to know your thoughts on it and whether you would suggest that this, in fact, does or does not need doing. Im going out to buy my adapter plug shortly so will give it a go tomorrow as i’m just being a general domestic goddess stroke slave to the children and their social lives for the rest of the day! PS I hope you are feeling better…I admire your strength and wish you a long and healthy future x

polly January 20, 2014 at 11:01 am

I’ve not had any probs with mine but i did hear recently that many ppl aren’t happy with latest models because of the changes they’ve made so I’m afraid i can’t advise you on that one as mine is a slightly older model! if you change your mind, mine still for sale!

Joy January 18, 2014 at 8:23 pm

How much are you selling it for? Please email me.

polly January 20, 2014 at 10:59 am

hi joy, I’ve emailed you!

Noa January 22, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Hi Polly – just saw your juicer is for sale…is it still the case?

polly January 24, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I’ve emailed you 😉

Nisha January 23, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Hi Polly is your juicer still for sale? Please email me. Nisha

polly January 24, 2014 at 2:09 pm

emailing you now Nisha…

Rosie January 31, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Hi Polly

Have you sold the juicer, if not please email me your price

Cheers

polly February 3, 2014 at 11:17 am

emailed you

Alice February 2, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Helloo!

Have just found your lovely site and noticed that your Norwalk may still be for sale? If so, please can you let me know how much you’re selling it for?

polly February 3, 2014 at 11:04 am

emailed 😉

rogelclaudia February 3, 2014 at 9:04 am

Hi Polly.

Could you email me if it is still available.. Thanks

Ritu February 3, 2014 at 11:21 am

Can you also email me the cost of the Norwalk you are selling. Thanks

James February 9, 2014 at 6:57 am

Hello, I just stumbled accross your great web site, really good stuff on here! I also was reading about your Norwalk juicer, I’ve never heard of them before, but it sounds great. By any chance if your one still for sale? Sorry if I’m a bit late & have missed the boat. Thanks very much

Jess February 10, 2014 at 7:34 pm

I have been juicing for 18months now with my faithful Oscar masticating juicer. My 13 year old daughter is the main consumer of the juice as she has osteosarcoma. It has been invaluable in keeping her well through two huge bouts of chemo. I am interested in your opinion of the Norwalk juicer, as I am considering getting one for when all the chemo is finished and we shall be continuing with a sort of reduced Gerson therapy. Is it worth the huge price tag or should I just stick with my sturdy Oscar? Thank you.

polly February 14, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Hi Jess, the norwalk is a great machine but its very labour intensive I find. I personally prefer the Green Star Elite http://www.tribest.co.uk/Juicers/Green-Star-Elite?tracking=516ed045caa5b and the Matstone for ease of use and cleaning. http://pollynoble.com/shop/pollys-shop-2/#!/~/product/category=6457421&id=27675045

Kelly February 17, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Hi Polly
Is your norwalk still for sale??
Thanks

polly February 17, 2014 at 4:33 pm

No, I’m afraid the Norwalk has been sold, sorry!