I am having a little love affair with parsley at the moment. Yep, I am loving this super herb. And why not! Here are 8 reasons why you should love it too!
8 Reasons Why You Should Love Parsley
1. Parsley is loaded with Vitamin C and iron making it a useful herb for those dealing with anaemia and fatigue. (Yup, been suffering with both of those lately. THANKS chemo)
2. Parsley is rich in antioxidants that seeks and eradicates free radicals. One of the antioxidants it contains is luteolin which is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent.
3. As well as vitamin C and Iron, parsley is rich in vitamin B12 (the elusive vitamin that vegans cannot get in their diet and must supplement), vitamin K, vitamin A, folic acid and Beta-Carotene.
4. Consuming parsley regularly can help to reduce blood pressure.
5. It acts as a diuretic which stimulates the bladder, liver, kidney, digestive system, thyroid and stomach to work efficiently.
6. Parsley is an effective breath freshener when chewed and expels worms and releases gas from the body.
7. Just 2 tablespoons of vitamin K provides us with 153% of the Recommended Daily Allowance which is needed for the strong bones. It also helps to create the fat needed to maintain the myelin sheath around our nerves, and therefore protects and improves our nervous system as a whole.
8. Parsley is packed with chlorophyll which is cleansing and oxygenates the blood. It also has antibacterial properties and helps to stop the growth of bad bacteria.
RECIPE – Green Goddess Smoothie
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 handful organic spinach
- 1/2 tablespoon hemp protein powder
- 1 tablespoon maca
- 1/2 tablespoon chlorella
- 1/2 tablespoon bee pollen
- 1 small handful parsley
- 2 peaches
- 2 handfuls white grapes
Combine the spinach and water in a high speed blender. (I recommend the Vitamix as it’s so easy to use and is incredible at blending pretty much anything). Add the superfoods and fruit and blend again until completely broken down and smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy.